top border
left top side
right top side

Are You Ready?

Do you have your child's official birth certificate?Kid with Bag

A child must have an official Virginia birth certificate before they can attend school. It could take up to four weeks to receive the document from the Virginia Department of Health Office of Vital Records.

To order, visit; mail your request to Virginia Department of Health, Office of Vital Records • P.O. Box 1000 • Richmond, VA 23218 or visit the Office of Vital Records at 2001 Maywill Street • Richmond, VA 23230.

CLICK to download our guide to ordering a birth certificate.

Are your child's shot records up to date?

Before your child is allowed to attend school, you must provide proof of all required immunizations. It is a good idea to complete your child's immunizations well before the first day of kindergarten. Contact your child's physician and ask for his/her records today.

If you have no insurance, the health department offers free immunizations for children. For more information or to set up an appointment, call Pittsylvania-Danville Health Department in Danville at 799-5190 or in Chatham at 432-7232. Make sure you have all or any prior immunization records before you call.

CLICK to download our guide to obtaining shot records 

Does your child have all the skills needed to excel in school?

Education begins at home and there is no better teacher than you, the parent. Use this checklist to guide you as you get your child ready for their first day of kindergarten.

CLICK to download pdf.